Computer technology is developing very rapidly. Yesterday monitors were the size of a heavy box, and today the thickness of a modern monitor does not exceed 10 mm. In our time, an inexperienced computer user can not easily understand the variety of monitors on the computer products market. How to choose the right monitor?
Start the selection of the monitor by choosing its type. There are two main types of monitors:
- CRT - Cathode Ray Tube
- LCD monitors (LCD - Liquid Crystal Display)
CRT monitors are implemented on the basis ofray tube and have a kinescope similar to a television set. CRT monitors are now considered obsolete and on sale they are almost impossible to meet. The LCD monitor, in turn, is realized on the basis of a liquid crystal matrix and thanks to its minimal thickness has gained immense popularity. Due to the fact that CRT monitors are obsolete, we will consider only LCD monitors.
The first thing that almost everyone is paying attention to is, of course, monitor diagonal size. The modern market offers many different options, among which you can find monitors and with a diagonal of 17 inches, and with a diagonal of 24 inches, and square, and widescreen.
How to determine the size of the diagonal you need? In principle, the approach here is quite simple. You need to consider for what purpose you take the monitor. For office work or work at home, it is enough to have a square monitor with a diagonal of 19 inches. But if you plan to watch movies on your computer, then boldly choose a monitor larger - 22-24 inches in the diagonal. However, remember that the larger the size of the monitor, the greater the distance between you and the monitor when working with it.
However, the quality of the selected monitor depends not only on the size of its diagonal. Here are some important characteristics, determining the quality of the monitor:
- Type of matrix. TN (TN + film) - the oldest and cheapest of existingtypes of matrix. The main distinguishing feature of TN matrices is the short response time. The smaller the response time, the faster the monitor responds to the image change. This feature of TN matrices will be especially useful if you select a monitor for games. Matrices IPS differ from TN with improved color reproduction, but they work much more slowly. Monitors with a matrix MVA / PVA Have an increased viewing angle and highercontrast in comparison with TN or IPS-matrices, the colors are more saturated and bright, but the response time is inferior to the matrices of the two previous types. Therefore, such monitors are not suitable for dynamic games, but are suitable for drawing jobs.
- Update frequency. The refresh rate is the parameter responsible forfrequency of changing the image on the screen per second, measured in hertz. The higher the refresh rate, the more imperceptible for the human eye is the image change and the eyes thus less tired. The low frequency of the update is indicated by the characteristic flicker of the monitor. A sufficient frequency of updating in modern monitors is the frequency of 75-80 Hz for LCD monitors and 100 Hz for CRT monitors.
- Resolution. Monitor resolution is a parameter that describeshow detailed the image can be obtained on the monitor. In simple terms, this parameter is responsible for the number and size of pixel points with which the image on the screen is built. The smaller the size of points and the more their number per unit surface area of the screen, the more clear and detailed is the image on the monitor.
- Brightness / Contrast. The brightness of the monitor is the highest possiblethe level of white color in the center of the screen, and the contrast is the ability of the matrix of the monitor to provide a deep black color. The higher the values of these parameters, the better the monitor.
- Viewing angle. In modern LCD monitors, the viewing angledetermines the ability of the monitor without distortion to transmit the image when looking at the monitor from different points. Than the viewing angle along the vertical and the horizontal is higher, the less distorted the image, if you look at it not directly, but at an angle.
- Response time. The response time of the monitor is the time for whichthe matrix of the monitor changes color from white to black and vice versa. The smaller this parameter, the less "blurring" the image with a dynamic change of picture on the screen, for example, in a computer game. If you buy a monitor for watching movies or for computer games, then choose models with a response time of not more than 8 ms (milliseconds).
- Connectors. Modern monitors usually support 2 typesconnectors: VGA and DVI. VGA-out is designed for older models of video cards, DVI-connector is more modern. Other monitors can be equipped with an HDMI-connector (High-Definition Multimedia Interface). This connector allows the monitor to transmit high-resolution digital video data and multi-channel digital audio signals.
Depending on the tasks facing the monitor, when buying, you should also pay attention to the additional features monitor. For example, built-in TV tuner allows you to watch TV programs on your computer. A monitor model with a built-in TV tuner is suitable for a home computer, although for an office version the TV tuner is of no use. Built-in column Also, you can save on purchasing an additional sound system if you are not going to use your computer as a home theater.